Thursday 14 October 2021

...a pilgrim's prayer journal...

 'Alas for your lawyers who have taken away the key of knowledge!  You have not gone in yourselves, and have prevented others going in who wanted to'.

Luke 11-47-54

Yesterday Jesus said the lawyers placed heavy burdens on the people.  Today He says they have prevented others from going in through the door of knowlegde.  I wonder where I prevent others.  Where do I take away the key and block others?  Where do I waste my opportunities to learn and then prevent ofthers learning too?  Is this a warning for teachers in general?  Could it also be for parents?

It might be for anyone who knows the truth of the Gospel but doesn't act upon it.  We have the key, we know the truth, but we don't live it and we don't share it.  We prevent others from hearing it too.  We waste our gifts.

Often when I read about Jesus rebuking people I think how I really wouldn't have liked to get on the wrong side of him.  He seems harsh here, angry that they were building tombs for the prophets.  I imagine these to have been memorials in the temple courts to the prophets of old.  Maybe it was decoration for the temple or a way to raise revenue if people brought offerings or paid to view the tombs?  

Either way, this gospel reminds me how much I rely on the merciful, loving Jesus and how I don't want to anger Him or waste what He has given me...  

No comments:

Post a Comment

His joy!

We have been poorly and normal service has been interrupted. Nevertheless, I did not want to let today's gospel go by without making som...